Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Politics of Me

"What comes of this moment is up to us. What comes of this moment will be determined not by whether we can sit together tonight, but whether we can work together tomorrow." -President Barack Obama (State of the Union, 1/25/11)

This should be one of those quotes that transcends politics and galvanizes individuals. This is not a quote merely for politicians; rather, this is a quote for humanity. The President is still preaching hope in an effort that we figure out a way to understand the message and work together in mending relationships while trying to achieve common dreams.

Recently I’ve learned that my communication has been off as well (much like our politicians). Sometimes “off” meaning just a little off kilter. Other times “off” has meant completely shut down to the point that it’s been irresponsible and hurtful – I need to relearn how to communicate. This is a tough sentence to write considering communication (and words, specifically) is what I do for a living. However, what’s most important right now for me (and, by extension, for those around me) is that I start to take my own advice that I spout to others and become a responsible individual. I need to understand the control and power that I have (and elicit) and be careful how I dispense and flex that power.

I hate using the word “power.” It makes me seem like an egomaniac when all I mean is that every person has power in a relationship. Ideally it should be equal, but there are times when that equality becomes unbalanced or completely nonexistent. That’s what this quote means to me: there is an imbalance of power right now politically (plus, like I admitted, personally), and it needs to be actively worked on so that we can accomplish all of the great things that we have the potential to.

This quote also acknowledges that there is a common drive within a relationship and that that drive needs to be understood before any concrete changes can take place. Understanding means that you are not only aware that there will be concession from both sides, but you are also willing to actually make sacrifices for the betterment of both parties.

I’m ready to be at that stage.

I realize that making this too connected with my personal life is one of the most stereotypical “blogger” things I could do, and it has the potential to make people raise an uninterested "get-over-yourself" eyebrow at me. However, I feel like the only way to assume that others should be doing better is to do better yourself. Realistically, the parallels between the political aspect of this quote and the personal are virtually absent. That is why I’ve chosen to identify with this quote. My new focused is on what’s been good today and (hopefully) utilizing it so that I can have a better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment