Sunday, January 23, 2011

Not As Important As They'd Like To Think

I don’t know if it’s bullshit or the truth that teachers are considered “a shaper of minds”? Mostly I think it’s bullshit. As a teacher, at best I would consider myself a “facilitator of thought” – and even that’s pushing it.

Of course, that’s only when you think about a teacher’s role in terms of content, which is how most evaluate the validity of the classroom, honestly.

I’m not sure that I disagree with that as a barometer in terms of who should be considered a “good” teacher and who isn’t. Students go to school so that they can learn something new each day, and I’m not sure that I provide that when it comes to content: or that I qualify as someone that knows the content at a “Mastery” standard (another qualification).

Basically this is how I feel: anyone can be compassionate and know more than someone who has (often) zero prior knowledge of a subject. That doesn’t/shouldn’t make them an authority over any subject.

When I have to tell people that I’m a teacher, I do so with the kind of embarrassment of pointing out a beat up, disheveled car in a parking lot. I’m hesitant to claim ownership over such a revered profession – even if that reverence is misplaced, ungracious or phony. People already know how they feel about teachers (or, rather, people know how they should feel about teachers): they have memories of their favorite “teachers”; they always have a sympathetic face and/or comment about how the pay is unfair because they know it’s “such a tough, thankless job.” Except here’s the thing, even after all that praise and compassion, they still think they could do the job just as well. And quite honestly, they probably could for the most part. Hell, I “learned” in one year.

The idea of cynicism isn’t often something I cling to, so this really is nothing more than the suppressed truth. Something I’ve always felt, but never fully articulated because by doing so I knew that it would devalue what I do. Which in turn devalues who I am. (Right?)

That is, unless I don’t think of myself as a teacher. Unless I focus more on my (um) importance on my ability to facilitate thought.

And even relying on that as a descriptor makes me squeamish because it implies that my thoughts should be the impetus for theirs. Like their own brain paths aren’t good enough to allow them to think for themselves. Seriously, all of these people telling us teachers that we’re “under-appreciated” and “underpaid” really has gone to our heads, huh? You’ll be hard-pressed to meet a teacher that isn’t willing to discuss all the ways that they are “under-appreciated” and “underpaid,” and it’s all because teachers buy into the idea that what they do is among the most important jobs available.

Saints aren’t saints because they claim to be.

Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I think teachers don’t do anything important. I do believe that there are certainly things that every student should know before they embark on the world (grammar and punctuation, for example) and that teachers do play a part in helping them learn. My point is simply that the system as it’s set up – giving the teachers the façade of power in classrooms and over other’s minds – is an abomination and needs to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up. Trying to patch holes when there’s structural damage makes no sense.

In order for this to be a success, instead of teachers thinking that what they do is so important and necessary, they should be focusing on what the students need. Truly need. Not making a veiled attempt at connecting to their interests by playing a rap song every now and then. In order to be a good facilitator you need to have a definitive starting point, a message that you’d like to share (with the knowledge that they might not grasp/believe/want to hear/understand what you’ve set up) and an end result for when it’s all over. Then (and here’s the tricky part), you need to be willing to allow them to think for themselves and not insert your own opinions and goals as facts.

Instead, the class should be structured in such a way that active thinking should count always as active learning. As a group, teachers need to get off of their horses and realize that what they do is only moderately important to the longevity of an individual’s life. You may get lucky enough to truly inspire one person for real that sticks with them for any extended period of time – this goal, by the way, shouldn’t be any different for any other person – you should always be trying to inspire others.

However, the moment that a teacher presumes what they think is more important than a student’s individual thought, that’s where the bullshit becomes a heap.

3 comments:

  1. BTW, people do read this :-) If "I" count as "people" that is ...

    To be perfectly honest, this is one of the reasons I changed my mind about teaching while I was in college. It was my plan for a while, but I ran headfirst into many of the heaps of bullshit you're referencing and eventually decided that my energies could be focused somewhere else. I still teach to an extent, though. I lecture occasionally. I tutor. I provide lessons for business professionals, "teach"ing them how to explain their business goals and marketing positions to customers. It's not the same as classroom teaching for one reason: I don't have a set curriculum or textbook to teach from.

    I teach people what they want to learn, and just as often learn more from them than they do from me. It's a strange, symbiotic relationship ... which, ironically, is modeled after the way some of my favorite teachers in high school and college taught. Rather than presenting a topic and trying to shoehorn students' thoughts about it into a box ("shaping" our minds), they'd present the topic and ask *us* questions. Sometimes we'd know less than the prof about an idea, so they'd take us through the steps to learn it (not "master" it, per se ... just enough knowledge to discuss and critically evaluate). If we knew more than them, the questions became more of a discussion. A challenge to us to refine our own thoughts rather than to shape them.

    I guess you could say my favorite teachers (the ones from whom I learned the most) were more "facilitators of thought" than anything else. So no, I don't think your description is pushing it in every case. Only when the teacher in question goes on self-righteous diatribes about how underappreciated and underpaid they are. Particularly if they think of themselves more as someone whose thoughts are superior than just another human on an equal playing field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dustin
    I don't disagree. I do think, however, that you sound like a person philosophizing your role as a tacher. I also would say that you sound like my colleagues. Not all teachers focus on teacher-centered. I feel lucky everyday as a teacher because my job is the least thankless job I've ever had. Whether the content is helping the student to be successful in college or work or the thinking is destroying walls, enriching lives, or making students more likely to be successful in the world, I couldn't be more rewarded. Where the job is thankless and underpaid is only when the classroom management gets to my head more than the learning. I love watching my students build communities in my classroom. I love all the personalities. I do disagree on one point, teachers are as important as they'de like to think when they are doing a good job faciitating. There is far too much responsibility when you are responsible for so many people. But that rationale admits that many jobs are as important. I do believe they are. I don't feel underpaid except that I want to make more - of course. But teachers working at troubled schools with poor administration for 20,000 is underpaid. Oregon is at the high end of pay and there schools are easy compared to what I have seen in inner city schools in Texas. I believe there is truth in that. Right now, students are having to sit on heating vents and counter tops because there isn't enough money coming into schools to pay more teachers. This is about the students. I believe education, not teachers, is undervalued.

    I love that you are teaching now. As much as you sound like you do not believe this, you have an energy that makes you an excellent teacher. I would love to be in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to reiterate, I really enjoy the 90 minutes of each class. What I don't enjoy are the conversations in between with people who don't seem understand what they're really there for - and it shouldn't be to be an authority figure (whether that authority is over the classroom, the subject or the students).

    I don't dispute that there aren't tons of teachers that think like me - Jody, I'd like to think 95% of our class was this way - it's just that it feels like a time for a evolution/revolution, and I'm not sure that'll ever happen. I'll continue it on my end, but without guarantee that it's going to progress it's difficult for me to be excited about the learning process.

    (Obviously, Eric, you count as "people." That was simply my marketing ploy to get more readers. : )

    ReplyDelete